Skip to main content


Title: Oxford Canal fisheries survey 1990 : Upper Thames area
Author: V. Lewis
Document Type: Monograph
Authorised in 1764, the Oxford Canal was built with the dual aim of moving coal from Warwickshire to Banbury and Oxford, whilst providing a link from the Coventry Canal to the River Thames. Originally a 91 mile contour canal, designed by James Brindley, the canal has been updated several times in an effort to maintain competitiveness against more modern, direct routes. The present canal is some 14 miles shorter than the original and divides conveniently into two major sections; the North Oxford Canal, running from the Coventry Canal to its confluence with the Grand Union Canal at Braunston Turn (SP 532 660), and the South Oxford Canal, running south from here to join the Castle Mill Stream at Oxford Basin (SP 503 065). This report describes the fisheries survey of 1990. Two sites were surveyed by electrofishing between August 1989 and January 1990 in order to evaluate effects on the fish population of poor water quality in two reaches of the South Oxford Canal.
Publisher: National Rivers Authority
Publication Date: 1990
Publication Place: Reading
Extent: 32; + appendices
Total file downloads: 0

Download PDF    Display PDF in separate tab